What is Medical Astrology?
Medical Astrology is a branch of Astrology that explores the correspondences of the zodiac signs and planets with human body parts and systems. Medical Astrology tells us that the zodiac signs and planets influence different parts of our body and the systems they work within. This branch of Astrology originated from Greek Astrology. It flourished during the middle ages and Renaissance periods. During the middle ages, many doctors used Astrology within their practice of medicine. These doctors would access the patient’s condition with relation to its corresponding zodiac sign and the movement of the planets. According to the zodiac sign and planet, the aliment was connected to, the doctor would propose a medicinal remedy.
Medical Astrology and Anatomical Positions of the Body
The zodiac signs correspond anatomically to specific areas of the body. Aries starts at the top of the head, while Pisces finishes last at the feet. These specific body areas/systems also possess a planetary ruler. Here is a quick look at some Medical Astrology correspondences.
- Aries corresponds to the head and the brain. These areas are ruled by Mars. Aries is associated with heat, inflammation and feverish conditions.
- Taurus corresponds to the eye, ear, nose and throat area. These areas are ruled by Venus. Taurus supports the endurance of the body.
- Gemini corresponds to the heart, lungs and nervous system. These areas are ruled by Mercury.
- Cancer corresponds to the chest, breasts, uterus and sinus cavities. These areas are ruled by the Moon.
- Leo corresponds to the upper abdomen and middle back. These areas are ruled by the Sun.
- Virgo corresponds to the lower abdomen. This area is ruled by Mercury.
- Libra corresponds to the kidneys and the lower lumbar region. This area is ruled by Venus.
- Scorpio corresponds to the kidneys and to the genital regions. These areas are ruled by Pluto.
- Sagittarius corresponds to the upper leg/thigh area, hips and the liver. These areas are ruled by Jupiter.
- Capricorn corresponds to the knees, bones, teeth and skeletal system. These areas are ruled by Saturn.
- Aquarius corresponds to the lower leg area, calves and ankles. These areas are ruled by Uranus and Saturn. Aquarius can be associated with rare diseases.
- Pisces corresponds to the feet, toes, and the lymphatic system. These areas are ruled by Neptune. Pisces can be associated with diseases that can be incurable.
Medical Astrology and the Moon Phases
The Moon’s lunar cycle corresponds to specific diseases and different forms of healing. For example, the New Moon has been associated with healing that goes with recovering from surgery. It also is an ideal time for detoxification. On the other end of the spectrum, surgery is not recommended during the Full Moon. This is due to a higher risk of ruptures and bleeding.
The Full Moon influences the nervous system and fluid systems of the body. Tensions are often heightened, and emotional outbursts are more likely to occur. The female menstrual cycle is also influenced by the lunar cycle. Women born at certain moon phases, such as the new moon, tend to have less painful menstrual cycles than those born at other phases.