For centuries, Crystal Balls have been shrouded in the secrecy of the occult. From the time of the Druids, through the rise of the Gypsies, the occult has used this mysterious globe for fortune-telling, gazing into the future, scrying into the past and peering into the Spirit Realm for answers to the questions asked of it.
Crystal Balls or orbuculum are the tools of the occult. They can be made of crystal or glass. They are used as a tool for clairvoyance, which is ESP, Extra Sensory Perception. This is a psychic power like telepathy. It is the perceiving of events or things in the future and beyond the normal senses.
The History of Crystal Balls
During the Iron Age the Celtic Druids of Gaul, Britain, and Ireland predating 600 AD, when the Christians pretty much wiped them off the face of the earth, were probably the first to use these in divination. Hundreds of years later, the Gypsies, or migrants of Northern India used these almost exclusively for fortune-telling. These Crystal Balls are made of common materials such as glass, lead crystal and reconstituted quartz crystal.
Pagan and Wiccan use of Crystal Balls is very common. They incorporate different natural crystals and gemstones as orbuculum spheres for scrying such as Tiger’s Eye, Moonstone, Beryl, Amethyst, Opal, Labradorite, Smokey Quartz, Rose Quartz, Agate, Sunstone, and Opal.
In modern occult usage, it is important to the witch to be using true crystal and not just a glass ball. They would hold it up to the light and look for the rainbow prism. If it had one, it was real crystal, if not, it was just a plain glass ball. Crystal also will ring with a tiny echo if you ping or tap the glass. Just like a crystal goblet.
Most Crystal Balls are made from clarified Quartz. The quartz is crushed almost into powder and then heated. The impurities are removed, and similar to glass blowing it is shaped into a sphere. Clarified Quartz Crystal is pure and is very clear, just as glass is.
If care is not taken while shaping, imperfections, inclusions, and tiny air bubbles can be found in the sphere. This affects its price substantially. Although, there are those that want these imperfections, as it gives a focal point to concentrate on when going into trance when scrying.
Scrying or gazing or crystallomancy is the gazer seeing psychic visions or mental impressions in the medium. Scrying is a very powerful tool. It is usually done with Crystal Balls, scrying mirrors or polished black surfaces such as black or golden obsidian.
Your crystal ball should be at a comfortable height for gazing. Stare into the ball and try not to blink at all. Never look away… keep your gaze. It is like a candle gazing to see the aura of a flame. It may take a long time, so patience is the key to success.
How to Gaze into Crystal Balls
Many pagans believe that Crystal Ball Gazing is to be done on the Full Moon. Although, you do not want anything reflecting in your ball.
- Be in shadow, with your crystal ball on its stand with a solid black cloth underneath.
- Rest your hands gently on the crystal ball for a few minutes to transfer your energy into it.
- Visualize in your mind your reason for scrying.
- Formulate a single question, then say it out loud.
- Remove your hands and place them palms facing your crystal ball on the table relaxed.
- Peer into your ball and relax your gaze. Allow your eyes to go unfocused. This will cause the clouds of smoke to emerge within the ball.
- Be patient, this takes time and practice. When the smoke appears your mind will see objects within it. Do not try to interpret them, nor try to predict what it is that you will see. Trust that spirit will guide your visions.
What Crystal Balls Tell You?
It is always good practice to have paper and pen handy for journaling the experience directly after it happens. Then nothing is lost to memory.
You may not see anything, and this is, in fact, a vision. Perhaps what you ask is not for you to know at this time. Bear that in mind at all times. Spirit knows better than you do.
When you are finished, when the clouds of smoke dissipate and your vision comes back to normal, you are done. Breakaway from the crystal ball by sweeping your hands like a pair of scissors. To cut away any connections. Then, as always with any work with spirit, thank them for the work that has been done.
Some say that there is a meaning behind the color of clouds of smoke that you see in your vision.
- Gold – prosperity or a new romance
- White – good fortune and luck
- Blue – career success
- Silver – rough times ahead but will get better
- Gray – misfortune
- Green – good health and happiness
- Orange – emotional troubles
- Red – impending danger
- Yellow – caution, an obstacle in the way
- Black – negative things to happen
Crystal Balls are a great tool to open the subconscious mind.
The power of the subconscious mind is the true gateway to your answers.